👑 Personal Property Securities Act 1999
S173 Search Purposes
A search of the register may be carried out only by the following persons for the following purposes:
- (a) An individual, or a person with the consent of the individual, for the purpose of searching for information about that individual in accordance with the Privacy Act 1999:
- (b) A debtor or secured party for a purpose that relates to the debtor's or secured party's security interest in respect of which a financing statement has been registered:
- (c) A person for the purpose of-
- (i) Establishing whether or not personal property that is to be purchased or otherwise dealt with by the person is subject to a security interest:
- (ii) Establishing whether to provide credit to, or to obtain a guarantee or an indemnity from, the person named in the search or the person with an interest in the personal property described in the search:
- (iii) Establishing whether to invest in, with, or through, the person named in the search:
- (d) A liquidator of a company for a purpose that relates to the administration of the liquidation:
- (e) A receiver for a purpose that relates to the administration of the receivership:
- (f) The Official Assignee for a purpose that relates to the administration of the bankruptcy of the person named in the search:
- (g) An executor or administrator of a deceased estate for a purpose that relates to the administration of the deceased estate of the person named in the search:
- (h) A public sector agency for a purpose that relates to the maintenance of the law (including the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution, and punishment of offences):
- (i) The holder of a lien or charge, or a creditor, for a purpose that relates to the enforcement of the lien, charge, or creditor's rights, as the case may be:
- (j) A court bailiff for a purpose that relates to the enforcement of a court order or warrant:
- (k) Any news medium for the purpose of verifying or establishing, in relation to a particular record, a fact that relates to its news activities:
- (l) A person for the purpose of advising another person in connection with any of the purposes referred to in paragraphs (a) to (k).
Note: A PPSR search includes all financing statement data registered at the date and time the search was performed. The exception to this is that a search by financing statement number will also return any expired or discharged financing statement.
In conducting a search of the PPSR, you should be aware that discharged or expired financing statements could be restored by a Court Order. There may also be a pending financing statement that is in the process of being registered. You may, therefore, consider conducting another search at a later date.