How can I lookup police impounded and pink/yellow/green “stickered” status for a vehicle?

Unfortunately there is no database available for CarJam or the public to search regarding vehicle impounds or status/presence of green, yellow or pink stickers attached to vehicles.

If you have a specific question regarding Police involvement with a vehicle you should refer that question to your local police

How does CarJam provide free Basic reports?

The short version:

1. Where a vehicle is not already in our cache (free data) registered users can use  three free Basic reports per month which will pull current data from the Motor Vehicle Register, at Carjam’s expense.
2. Where a vehicle is already in the cache and the WOF and rego are still current, we display the expiry dates. No update needed by User.
3. Where a vehicle is already in our cache and the WOF and rego are expired, we no longer show any dates, as this was confusing many users. In those instances, a User will now have to purchase a report at their own expense to access up to date information from the Motor Vehicle Register. These changes have become necessary as Carjam is currently paying for the “free” reports and is no longer able to absorb that cost in delivering millions of reports per month.
4.Users can choose and allocate a certain number of vehicle plates as ‘favourites’. Carjam will then pay for these select plates to be regularly updated so the users will no longer have to ‘update’ them manually and the user will be sent alerts to remind you that a WOF, rego or COF is nearing expiry. These alerts/favourites are not free to Business Account users.

Don’t miss the WOF!

“I noticed that my CEOs car had a personalised plate, so I ‘carjamed’ it because I was curious about the engine displacement and then happened to notice that his WoF had expired 1 day ago.  The next day, I bumped into him in the lift and reminded him that he needed to sort his WoF out.  lol.  Then I showed him the free carjam report for his car on my phone and, being the techie that he is, he was pretty impressed with your site.”
— by John

Is the year shown in reports reliable as year of manufacture?

For motor vehicles registered before 1 January 2007 “vehicle year” means the year of manufacture or the model year or the year of first registration. For vehicles registered on or after 1 January 2007 “vehicle year” means year of first registration.

Registration of Older Vehicles

The Motor Vehicle Register was computerised in 1986 by NZ Post. Any vehicle with a live rego in 1988 will be on the current system (the MVR was copied to the current system in 1996). Between 1986 and 1988 Post deleted a small number of records but most 1986 live regos should also be available.

Your prices are much lower than other providers. Do you provide less information?

No, CarJam report includes the same vehicle information as similar services in the market but just much cheaper.

Where does the information in the reports come from?

The information that makes up the CarJam reports comes from Land Transport NZ and the Ministry of Economic Development.

Vehicle details are incorrect. What can I do?

When a vehicle’s details are recorded incorrectly on the Motor Vehicle Register (MVR), these can be corrected by sending an Application to Change Vehicle Details (form MR16, available at any New Zealand Transport Agency  agent) to the NZTA

Privacy and Vehicle Ownership

Please note that names and addresses of individuals are not available as of May 2011 privacy law changes unless you are an authorised business entity. You can use our Seller Check service to confirm exact owner.

The Motor Vehicle Register (MVR) has always been a public register. As such Land Transport New Zealand is obliged, under section 19 of the Transport (Vehicle and Driver Registration and Licensing) Act 1986, to provide access to the name and address of the current owner(s) of a vehicle if they have an approved authorisation from the MoT.

Odometer reading is incorrect. What can I do?

In order to correct an odometer reading that was recorded incorrectly during a Warrant of Fitness (WoF) inspection NZTA require a copy of the checksheet to be faxed to them. Along with the checksheet NZTA need a cover letter explaining why the checksheet is being sent, what the incorrect odometer reading is along with the vehicles current odometer reading.